Complaints and Commendations

The Barrow County Sheriff’s Office is dedicated to providing the finest law enforcement services to its citizens and guests. The Office of Professional Standards aids this mission by reviewing citizen complaints, conducting internal investigations, pre-employment background investigations, and policy review and development.

We encourage you to let us know about the quality of service you receive from our employees, either positive or negative. If you believe that the conduct of an employee was commendable, you may let us know by writing a letter or email to the Office of Professional Standards. Citizen commendations will be forwarded to the commended employees and their immediate supervisors.

The Sheriff’s Office is committed to professionalism and integrity, taking all allegations of employee misconduct very seriously. If you believe an employee acted inappropriately, you may request to speak with an on-duty supervisor or Internal Affairs Investigator during normal working hours.

Frequently Asked Questions – Complaints or Commendations

Q: How do I file a complaint?
A: Complaints are accepted from any source, whether in person, by mail or by telephone. Click here for a Citizen Complaint Form. Completed complaint forms should be mailed to the address below.

Q: Are anonymous complaints accepted?
A: Yes. Complaints are accepted by anonymous sources as long as the complaint contains sufficient factual information to warrant investigation.

Q: What happens after I file a complaint?
A: The investigation could be handled by the employee’s immediate supervisor or by an Internal Affairs Investigator. The investigation normally takes 30 to 60 days to complete. At the conclusion of the investigation, the complainant will be notified of the disposition of the case.

Any complaints, commendations, or questions regarding agency policy or procedures may be directed to the Office of Professional Standards.

Barrow County Sheriff’s Office
The Office of Professional Standards
233 East Broad Street, Winder, GA 30680.
770-307-3080, ext. 4978

Link to the Citizen Complaint Form.