Detention Bureau FAQ

Detention Division Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I post a bond?

The following Bond Types are acceptable for inmates in the Barrow County Detention Center:

Barrow County Property Bond:

A person can use the equity in their home as bond. The inmate being bonded can not be an owner of the property being put up as bond. All persons named as owners on the property must be present and have proper identification. The equity in the home must meet or exceed the entire amount of the bond.**For bond amounts over $12,000 proof of equity must be provided, this can be obtained from your mortgage company. The property must be current on property tax payment.

Transfer Property Bond from another County:

A person(s) may use property they own in another county to post bond. Contact the Sheriff’s Ofice in the county in which the property is owned for information on their requirements for obtaining a transfer bond. You will be given a sealed envelope, DO NOT OPEN, bring it to the Barrow County Detention Center.

Cash Bond:

Cash in the exact amount of the bond amount may be used to bond the inmate out.

Cash Bond On-Line:

Post a bond using your credit card. or 1 (888) 726-6301

Bonding Company or Bondsman:

There is a list of approved bonding companies posted in the lobby of the detention center, their contact information can also be found in Barrow County and Winder phone books. Bondsman typically charge a percentage of the total bond amount as their fee. Bonding companies are private businesses, choose any company you like from the approved list and consult them on the requirements for them posting a bond.

******A Bonding Fee of $20.00 for the first five charges and $5.00 for each additional charge is required regardless of the method you choose to post bond*******

When is an inmate scheduled for release?

Exact release dates are not made public information for several reasons, the most common are listed below:
•Additional Barrow County warrants may be pending.
•The inmate may have a hold for charges in another jurisdiction and may need to be transported after completing their time in Barrow County.
•Inmate status change, such as loss of inmate worker status, may change the expected release date.

In most cases the inmate will be allowed to make a phone call to arrange transportation after being released.

When is an inmate scheduled for court?

Contacting the inmates’ attorney is the best way to find out when an inmate will be going to court.

Court dates are set by the court of jurisdiction over the charges ( Auburn City, Statham City, Winder City, Magistrate, Probate, Superior) For example: A Magistrate charge would be handled by the Magistrate Judge and the court date would be set by Magistrate Court.

Probation or Parole Violation are settled in a variety of ways, questions about court dates for an inmate whose only charge is a Violation of Probation or Parole should be directed to the inmate’s Probation or Parole Officer.

Can an inmate receive time off of their sentence? ( “Good time” or “2 for 1” )

It is important to understand that any reduction in sentence or early release is a privilege and not a right.

Inmates who become inmate workers are most likely to receive this reduction to their sentence. There are many factors that determine if an inmate is even eligible for good time. The most common factors which would prevent a reduction in sentence, regardless of inmate status, are as follows:
•A State of Georgia Prison sentence commonly referred to as “State time”
•A new felony sentence meaning a crime for which the inmate was not already on probation.
•A sentence that is suspended upon the inmate being accepted into a State Probation Detention Center, Residential Substance Abuse Treatment (RSAT), or similiar treatment program.

O.C.G.A. 42-4-7

§ 42-4-7. Maintenance of inmate record by sheriff; earned time allowances

(a) The sheriff shall keep a record of all persons committed to the jail of the county of which he or she is sheriff. This record shall contain the name of the person committed, such person’s age, sex, race, under what process such person was committed and from what court the process issued, the crime with which the person was charged, the date of such person’s commitment to jail, the day of such person’s discharge, under what order such person was discharged, and the court from which the order issued. This record shall be subject to examination by any person in accordance with the provisions of Article 4 of Chapter 18 of Title 50, relating to the inspection of public records.
(b)(1) The sheriff, chief jailer, warden, or other officer designated by the county as custodian of inmates confined as county inmates for probation violations of felony offenses or as provided in subsection (a) of Code Section 17-10-3 may award earned time allowances to such inmates based on institutional behavior. Earned time allowances shall not be awarded which exceed one-half of the period of confinement imposed, except that the sheriff or other custodian may authorize the award of not more than four days’ credit for each day on which an inmate does work on an authorized work detail; provided, however, that such increased credit for performance on a work detail shall not apply to an inmate who is incarcerated for:

(A) A second or subsequent offense of driving under the influence under Code Section 40-6-391 within a five-year period of time, as measured from the date of any previous arrest for which a conviction was obtained or a plea of nolo contendere was accepted to the date of the current arrest for which a conviction is obtained or a plea of nolo contendere is accepted;

(B) A misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature; or

(C) A crime committed against a family member as defined in Code Section 19-13-1.

(2) While an inmate sentenced to confinement as a county inmate is in custody as a county inmate, the custodian of such inmate may award an earned time allowance consistent with this subsection and subsection (b) of Code Section 17-10-4 based on the institutional behavior of such inmate while in custody as a county inmate.

(3) An inmate sentenced to confinement as a county inmate shall be released at the expiration of his or her sentence less the time deducted for earned time allowances.

O.C.G.A. § 42-4-7

Items that may be brought to an inmate, may be dropped off to the officer at the lobby desk:
•Up to 3 pair of of WHITE briefs or boxers
•Up to 3 pair of WHITE socks
•Up to 3 WHITE t-shirts
•Up to 3 WHITE non-under wire bras for females
•Up to 3 pair WHITE full-coverage panties for females
•1 Beige/White thermal top
•1 Beige/White thermal bottom
•1 pair of prescription eyeglasses
•1 soft eyeglass case
•1 soft bound Bible or other religious book

How can I put money on an inmate account to be used for commissary?
• We have a Jail ATM Kiosk in the lobby that excepts cash, debit cards, and credit cards. There is a $2.50 charge for all transactions.
• You may go to
• You may mail a money order to 652 Barrow Park Drive, Winder, GA with the inmates name and I.D. # .
• Cash is only accepted at the kiosk in the lobby.

Important Phone Numbers

Public Defender’s Office 770 307-3006

State Probation Office 678 963-7020

Sentinel Offender Services 770 307-1020

Winder City Probation 678 425-6878

Providence Probation 770 868-1973

Jefferson Parole Office 706 367-3150

Child Support 770 868-4180

D.F.A.C.S. 770 868-4222

Juvenile Justice 770 868-4010

Magistrate Court 770 307-3150

Probate Court 770 307-3045

Superior Court Clerk 770 307-3035

District Attorney’s Office 770 307-3040

Winder Police Department 770 867-2156

Statham City Police 770 725-5992

Auburn Police Department 770 513-8657

County Government Main Line 770 307-3000